Wednesday, January 17, 2007

If You Can't Beat Them...

A friend of mine from class told me the other day about how she remembers tagging along with family members when she was much younger in her native Davao while they would pay off poor citizens to vote for them in the elections. I found out that she was part of a political family. I threatened to end our friendship. I didn’t.

She told me it was only when she was in high school that she realized what her family was doing. She despises it now. I can’t help but wonder how many in similar situations actually grow up to have the decency to despise the acts of their own families.

My granduncle ran for mayor at least three times. He’s a good guy with good conviction. Theoretically a good mayor. He never won an election. He’s proud to say he never cheated. I can’t help but wonder how much he could’ve done had he given in to the rules of the demented game. Thank God he has the decency to not wonder such things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


earn