Monday, September 15, 2008

Another Heights worskshop

Congrats to the fellows of the 14th Ateneo Heights Workshop (especially April, Sasha, Wy, & Brandz), held this past weekend weekend at Casa Ibiza, Antipolo!


Many thanks to workshop director Petra Magno for inviting me over to panel for 1 nonfiction session, & thanks to the 'real' panelists on Saturday -- Ma'am Beni Santos (now my 'colleague' -- her words ... hehe kilig), Sir Egay Samar, Sir Allan Derain, Joel Toledo, Kael Co, & Waps San Diego -- for allowing me to speak (hehehe).


Sure, my 1 workshop thus far, that 3-week period a co-fellow has attributed a virus to, is a bit of a blur to me now -- 1 I'm akin to wanting to move on from & go back to at the same time (for reasons many & few, depending on how you look at it) -- but I believe in workshops. I believe in the exchange of ideas & sensibilities somewhat filtered thru the formality of the labels panelist & fellow. And I believe in the sharing of passion & wisdom that comes w/ the intimacy of the word workshop.


I enjoy listening to arguments for a 'higher level' & those who quip 'I found it fitting as is.' I enjoy hearing comments on the manipulation of time & references to Ezra Pound as much as I enjoy being resigned to just saying Wasak! & quoting from a Stonefree song.


I love how the workshop leads to somewhere for the fellows involved -- or at least earnestly wants to lead them somewhere. I love how Heights means enough for former members for them to want to come back to panel every year (this year it was Ma'am Beni, Sir Egay, Mookie Katigbak, Kael, & Waps).


And I love how Heights has lived on decades after its maiden issue in 1952, when it was but a reaction to the 'death of campus literature' (as we were reminded of by current Heights editor in chief Fid Tan during her closing remarks).


Congrats again to those involved! Next year ulit! Until then, looking forward to reading you all again!



* * *


Isa pa...



Issue includes my essay "Of Golf, Nature, and the Art of Communion" & my poem "Alone." And check out all those other names involved! Galing! Kitakits sa launch!

7 Comments:

Blogger Edgar Calabia Samar said...

Hi Martin, salamat din sa pagdalaw. Your comments contributed a lot. Dalaw ka rin sa Ateneo Nationals ha, sa campus lang naman 'yun. :-)

6:53 PM  
Blogger M.V. said...

uy talaga?

sige, sige. ipatuloy ko pa rin ang 'pambansang epal' status ko. hehe

salamat ulit, sir.

kitakits sa nationals.

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do you sound so perky.

1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously. Reconsider this post.

You sound like VERNE.

11:54 PM  
Blogger M.V. said...

argh.

i shall channel bitterness again. soon. real soon.

thank you for warning.

11:01 AM  
Blogger brandon said...

sa totoo lang, looking back, elibs ako sa mga sinabi mo p're. at hindi ako sumisipsip. at least, hindi ngayon. apir!

9:37 PM  
Blogger M.V. said...

apir!

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


earn