Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Ey you & other greetings

For Sasha on her birthday, I post the part of her yearbook write-up that made her cry:

"... like the way she cocoons herself to 1 corner when in deep thought, the way she giggles over a good grade or just a funny word, the way she is praised & asks in disbelief, Why?, the way she singles you out in a crowd & offers a hand, making you believe in Why not?"

Ey you. Happy birthday.

* * *

A year ago, when I told Larry what I had been reading, he said I was "such a guy."


Then he became my thesis mentor.


The following exchange between Larry (2nd place for essay, 2008 Philippines Free Press Literary Awards) & I came recently, after I asked him to comment on my latest essay, months after I put my thesis to bed & months after he had read anything serious by me


"So how'd you find my new piece?"


"Bumabading na ang aesthetics mo. Palakpakan."


"Aray."


"You are talking to a gay writer so that could be a compliment you know."


"Right."


Palakpakan. Bow.


Congrats, Larry! 


(And thank you?)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stumbled upon a blog entry of mine dated July 13, 2005:

Martin and I waiting for the talk by Mr. David Kim yesterday:

Martin: "Do you notice how single old women tend to be really flirtatious with priests?"

Me: "Oh my gosh! OO NGA! Dati nung pumunta kami sa Saisaki..."

Martin: "Ano?"

Me: "Wala lang. Masarap food dun."

***

MISS NA KITA PARDS! Sorry di ako makareply. No load. No money. You know how it is. Artists starve. Haha. I'll be busy this week because of a final project but I'll text you next week! Magbebenta muna ako ng laman para makapag-reload.

8:16 PM  
Blogger Sasha Martinez said...

:)
Apir!

12:43 AM  
Blogger M.V. said...

japs: fuckin struggling artist vibe...call center na 'to. o q. ave. kung trip mo. how much is your rate now? :p

i recall the conversation; dont recall who david kim is & why we had to see him. could this be what they call 'age'?

next week.


sha: wapak! (as in tunog ng apir. ata.)

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


earn